Today I went to my first NYC street fair. It was a four block walk through furniture, jewelry, marionettes, art, bonsai trees, discount cosmetics... No pressure sales, either. I got to walk through with my ipod on, fingering things, and moving on. The food stands had typical fair umm, fare, like turkey legs and funnel cakes. I was intrigued by all the crepes, sweet corn, watermelon slices, and these weird sandwiches of cornbread and mozzarella. I already mentioned that I bought beautiful $2 earrings. There's another street fair between Columbus and Central Park West tomorrow, so I'll be visiting that, too. Kathy, the primary renter of the apartment I share, is selling some of her creations there.
Before the fair, I walked to Riverside Park to gaze at New Jersey, listen to Liz Phair, and watch children play on the playground. The day was beautiful. It was sunny and breezy with a high of 74. Can you believe that? I wanted to hum, "It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas," but I knew I'd out myself as a Texan and get those horrible red state questions.
I went to Kim's and rented Funny Ha Ha, which I'm hoping will inspire one of my future projects. Then I went to Duane Reade and got some bottled water on sale. I stopped by Gristedes to get cereal, juice, and half a watermelon. On my walk back, not one, but two homeless people demanded money from passersby. I don't mean to be insensitive or unrealistically picky, but I prefer my homeless people polite. Please ask for help. To say, "Give me some money!" is too hostile. It only makes potential donors walk away faster and strain muscles when they quickly pull their personal belongings closer to them. I'm a stranger, not your parent! In conclusion, the plight of America's homeless is a shame, but yeah, ethos is everything... Hmm...
Some of my favorite song lyrics are from "Little Plastic Castle" by Ani DiFranco:
"In a coffee shop, in a city,Anyhow, I share this, because tonight I did laundry for the first time in almost a month. When time between washings is this long, I tend to forget that I own certain clothes. All this clean underwear! It's so luxurious. It feels like Christmas when I open the dryer. Aren't you glad that I shared that? It's all about the simple pleasures.
which is every coffee shop in every city,
on a day which is every day,
I picked up a magazine,
which is every magazine,
read a story,
then I forgot it right away.
They say goldfish have no memory.
I guess their lives
are much like mine,
and the little plastic castle
is a surprise every time."
Labels: I Live NY


<< Home