I don't want to update this blog so sporadically, but long days of teaching in a horrible school don't really inspire writing. Yes, I still dread every day of work. I check my watch constantly. At the end of the day, I feel drained and only fleetingly relieved.
I'll interview myself for update purposes.
Q: What have you done in NYC lately?
A: I've really just been going to work, going home, preparing things for work, and sleeping. I just got a permanent schedule, so now that I know what I'm supposed to be teaching, things might get easier planning-wise. One exclusively NYC thing that I've enjoyed multiple times in the past week is Koronet Pizza. The first time I went with Chen, I wasn't that impressed. I thought it was too cheesy. Lately, though, it is perfect. I crave it every night and will always brave a long line to get my slice.
Q: How do you feel about "Rent," one of your favorite musicals, coming to the big screen?
A: Nervous. I love the original cast, most of whom are in the film. I don't know who Rosario Dawson is, but I'd prefer Daphne Rubin-Vega to play Mimi. I personally didn't think "Chicago" was all that great. I didn't like the actors, and I felt a lot of the play was sacrificed in the translation to the big screen. Why wasn't Bebe Neuwirth Roxie? It felt so blasphemous. I will definitely be seeing "Rent" and hating all the new supposed "Rent"-heads out there.
P.S. I love Adam Pascal, but his look in the previews is wrong. Not the Roger I remember (and love) at all!
Q: What are you currently reading?
A: I'm trying to get into Dry by Augusten Burroughs, which I attempt to read most nights before bed. I also leaf through Gig and look for jobs I want to read about. I highly recommend Gig - it's a fascinating collection of transcipts of eclectic people talking about their jobs. I would love to have a job working on a project like this. It's so intriguing.
Q: How do you feel since your tumble down the stairs?
A: I'm bruised, and now the bruises are looking more menacing, but I'm recovering. My muscles aren't as sore. You should see how slowly I walk down the 39 steps now. It's funny.
Q: Any Sex and the City moments?
A: At my pizza place, a guy with a dog asked me to order his jumbo slice, because he didn't want to go all the way into the restaurant with his dog. The dog's nose was already against the counter, though, so that request really made no sense. I asked him what he wanted. The guy at the counter engaged in the romantic comedy confusion.
G at c: What will it be?
Me: He wants a jumbo slice.
G at c: Okay... And for you?
Me: We're not together. I've already ordered.
G at c: Not together?
Me: I'm just a good Samaritan.
G at c: Oh, I see. Ha, ha, yes, very good.
The guy sits down with the dog at a table. He gets his slice first. I take mine to go. As I walk past him, I know there will be some questions I don't want. When he starts with the benign, "Look, thanks for the good Samaritan work..." I quickly smile, say "no problem," and scamper away. He so wanted to be my Aidan.
The other one was just mild flirtation by some physical therapist who works at my school. Not much to say about that.
Q: What are your plans for today?
A: General sloth. I want to relax and maybe take in a street fair and walk through Central Park with Chen. I'm also working on a side writing project I have got to start and finish.
Labels: Thinking


<< Home