Every six months or so, I see some story about a professional of some kind who fooled everybody into thinking he or she was perfectly qualified for his or her position while actually illiterate.
Ever hear the one about the seasoned attorney who couldn't read and relied on the diligence of his underlings to get through each case, but somehow passed the Bar? Are these stories even plausible?
Today I heard about this retired teacher, John Corcoran, who taught 17 years (what I do not know - I hope not Language Arts) and couldn't read. What the hell?
I mentioned my bafflement at these stories to my officemate and he seemed to feel the same way I do. Why are these newsworthy? The last thing I'd want to know if Mr. Corcoran gave me a B was that the guy couldn't even read. It's probably also the last thing I'd want to know if he'd given me an A. (Was his class the easy class? Maybe he taught gym).
I also don't know what these stories are supposed to make me feel. Impressed that an illiterate person could so deftly keep from getting found out? Sad that he or she got away with it so long and was illiterate in the first place? Suspicious of the organization he was part of? Really glad that homeboy can now read Eat, Pray, Love like every other person on the planet?
But maybe I'm reading too much into it.
Labels: Mentionable, Thinking


<< Home