Because my mom's a nurse, she's always had to decide whether to work Thanksgiving or Christmas. She usually takes Turkey Day off, since our family opens Christmas presents early anyway. My sister, dad, and I have long practiced the Jewish Christmas tradition of seeing a movie, only minus the Chinese food.
My parents always have a ham for Christmas. The pineapple rings on it are the only fruit my dad eats the entire year. The sides are standard - macaroni and cheese, biscuits or toast, and some vegetable no one eats. Last night, I had macaroni and cheese for the first time since...my last visit. I grew up eating it with every meal. Seriously, I thought it was a vegetable until I took that required health class in eighth grade.
For the last few years, my mom and sister have prepared elaborate tins of holiday baked goods for people whom they are close enough to give gifts, but not to really shop for. Extra cookies from sugar to thumbprint lie on the counter for days, and that's when I feel how filling, err fulfilling it is to give.
*from a list of Christmas blogging ideas I found online
Labels: Ties that bind...and gag.


<< Home