My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 10 seconds. If not, click
http://www.noisiestpassenger.com
and update your bookmarks.

Amanda's MsAdventures

Sunday, April 15, 2007

Today the Brooklyn Bridge is rain-slickened and cold, the pedestrian and bike area abandoned. When I went yesterday, it was sunny and crowded. Tourists walked so slowly that Cade and I kept stepping into the bike lane to quickly bypass the families loaded down with cameras and knapsacks. One surly cyclist asked, "You do know you're in the bike lane, right?" as he whizzed off. "You do know I could easily push you over, right?" I retorted to Cade. Someday I want to be a cyclist over the bridge, but I'll go easy on those traveling afoot. Foot traffic is slow and frequently interrupted across the wooden-planked bridge. Sometimes walkers have to stray in the bike lane.

I didn't know how to get on the bridge. Cade and I looked it up and wandered around trying to find it. We passed by skateboarding teenagers and their amateur film crews before finally asking a cop. Once we found the way, I was surprised to see how many people were walking from Brooklyn to Manhattan. It was a beautiful day, yes, but how many people walk across the bridge everyday, whether the weather's nice or not? I like the idea of walking across the bridge - famous NYC skyline beside me, Statue of Liberty looking on, zooming cars below, boats beside. It is involvement and removal at the same time.

Lately, I think of other kinds of bridges and points of connections, ways I'm supposed to get to where I want to be from where I am right now. I want a new job in a completely different industry. I want to improve, or at least, maintain my current standard of living when I go to a new square one. I want to be happier. At times, I have felt utterly isolated from anyone who really knows what I am capable of. (I am not in this league, not usually. I have a lot of doubts and admit I'm a pessimist). But in the last week, I have reached out and asked for help, and some semblance of a bridge appears to be forming. Perhaps it's just a few planks in the right direction, but nonetheless, some planks.

This week, I need to find more. In a few weeks, I need something to walk across.

Labels: ,


Daily Thoughts & fun cool stuff
Blogarama - The Blog Directory Blog Directory & Search engine