Malcolm Gladwell's Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking refers to a lot of interesting research. It discusses both the power and problems that come from first impressions made in a blink. Consider size. Humans equate size, particularly height, with power and leadership. In the U.S. population, about 14.5% of all men are six feet or taller. In the Fortune 500 CEO population, 58% of men are six feet or taller. I had heard something like that before, so I wasn't surprised.
But then I read this: "Not long ago, researchers who analyzed the data from four large research studies that followed thousands of people from birth to adulthood calculated that when corrected for such variables as age and gender and weight, an inch is worth $789 a year in salary. That means that a person who is six feet tall but otherwise identical to someone who is five foot five will make an average $5,525 more per year... Have you ever wondered why so many people find their way into positions of authority in companies and organizations? It's because when it comes to even the most important positions, our selection decisions are a good deal less rational than we think. We see a tall person and we swoon."
Hmmm... My first thought is that this would affect men more than women, but it's very intriguing. I'm 5'6", by the way. And skeptical.


<< Home