I decided to suck up my fears of knocking my teeth out and humiliating myself close to home, and decided to just walk across the street. Central Park was kind of a big selling point of my apartment, and I don't utilize the city's backyard enough. I couldn't venture out alone, not yet anyway. I needed Cade to be my steady arm to grab onto and nimble fingers to dial 911 just in case I get exactly what's coming to me. Professional roller derby skates on a girl who hasn't rollerskated in years? More than a bit cocky.
The skating was shaky at first, and my ankles and feet were tense as the terrain vibrated every tendon. I dodged doodoo and people with strollers. Eventually, Cade and I found a rollerskating orgy near the abandoned sand volleyball court. I'm guessing the patchouli-wearing rollerdancing enthusiasts were former regulars on the Manhattan cable access show, Central Park Skate. They were quite agile on their brakeless skates. One guy in particular appeared to be a cement nymph or something, gracelessly twirling and jumping.
Labels: I Live NY


<< Home