It appears Brooklyn is the place to be on Saturdays. Cade and I returned via the running 2/3 (yay, MTA!) to attend the free Target First Saturday at the Brooklyn Museum. Yep, just Museum. It's an art museum, but Brooklyn's kind of unassuming, you know.
We watched a performance by the Brooklyn tap dancing group The Young Hoofers. An old vaudevillian tap dancer, Miss Mable Something, joined them. She sang and grabbed her lower back dramatically, saying, "I used to do this, too, you know!" Then she'd cackle and shuffle enough to show off her still fabulous gams, but not break her hip.
After all the tapping, which is really difficult to photograph, Cade and I toured the William Wegman exhibit Funney/Strange. You know this artist, though you may not have heard of him and you hopefully have not seen him manipulate his belly in such a way that it looks like a face. A face in which his nipples are eyes and his large, flexible navel is a rather animated mouth. A mouth that sings in a squeaky voice. (This was one of his video shorts. Cade said he felt much less evolved after watching it). Wegman is the artist famous for humorously photographing Weimaraners, though I prefer his more recent postcard-painting works.The final event of First Saturday was a screening of Four Eyed Monsters, an independent film that won the Best Director award at last year's Brooklyn International Film Festival. The story behind the film/that is the film is different and quirky and more than a bit emo. I personally love seeing young people brave all the barriers and put their creative work out there, especially in innovative ways. And some of the cinematography was awesome! Learn more about Four Eyed Monsters here: http://foureyedmonsters.com
In conclusion, the night was fun. The Brooklyn Museum First Saturday draws a lot more families than a First Friday at the MoMA. It's noisy and stimulating and the five dollar water/miniature pretzels meal is so worth it. And Cade makes funny comments when strangers unabashedly burp in his face. I recommend checking that out sometime. Really.


<< Home