My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 10 seconds. If not, click
http://www.noisiestpassenger.com
and update your bookmarks.

Amanda's MsAdventures

Monday, November 07, 2005

So today I received junk mail that didn't go to my junk folder. It was all about how I should celebrate Marriage Sunday on November 6 and vote yes on Prop. 2 on Tuesday to keep marriage out of the courts where it could be "permanently altered or perverted."

Umm... Too late for that, guys.

I have supported legal rights for gay and straight domestic partnerships for a long time. In fact, I spent a big chunk of my senior year in high school writing a paper supporting the legalization of gay marriage. (If that doesn't solidify one's position as nerdy, liberal would-be dyke at Odem High School, I don't know what will). So as you can see, I'm an old school, gay-loving, pro-choice, liberal, yo.

I won't rely on the old saw that gay couples have every right to get married and be just as miserable as straight couples. Marriage can be a wonderful, though challenging, endeavor. And maybe I should even pretend I think it's a sacred institution, but I won't. Elizabeth Taylor done tainted that notion.

Seriously, though, marriage is an individual legal and emotional act. I don't think anyone should talk about it as something with universal tendencies.

Oh yeah, and the piece of junk mail that inspired this post was sent a day late. I guess the conservative responsible for the mistake was just so excited about the exclusion of "alternative" types of love that he or she was hateful a day late. Oops. Too bad. Marriage Sunday has become Perversion Monday.


Daily Thoughts & fun cool stuff
Blogarama - The Blog Directory Blog Directory & Search engine