I cannot ever complain about my cushy AIS job. Never mind that I don't have a classroom or that I have to be flexible. I don't feel sick every morning when I have to go to work! Today was a good day. I did a read aloud in Mr. M's class and just walked around and helped out in classes. On top of that, the one Special Ed class I teach on my own on Wednesdays had a guest speaker. Now all my classes will at least be on the same track by Friday. My spurned classes didn't moan as much for me to come back when they saw me in the halls. Instead, most of them were just really sweet. But "Too Much, Too Little, Too Late," isn't just a Johnny Mathis song, you know.
I applied for a position teaching at the Saturday Prep Academy at my school. I'd get paid $36.50 an hour for five hour sessions. Classes are small and students have to sign up to go. One disciplinary offense, and students are kicked out. No grading. Seventh graders. No grating eighth graders. (Did you get that?) I should hear from someone about it soon.
Tonight I need to go to bed at a decent hour, because I wake up throughout the night in various stages of bed dishevelment. It's terrible, because the bed linens end up looking like lumpy scraps vomited out of a Ramada Inn laundry chute. You'd have to see the pattern on the comforter to understand - it's straight out of the Divine Benign Hotel Bedding catalog of Fall '96. Besides that, I went to bed just right, but woke up too hot. I did what any other too hot, half asleep person does and took off my pajamas (???). I woke up this morning shivering in a fifty degree room wearing nothing but underwear. The Ramada barf linens? All twisted up...on the floor. Brrr.
Nothing else really happened today. I read and chatted with people I like and had to break out of a vise-like hug from Timothy Fears (his real name, as appropriate as can be). I started my novel, too. I'm off to forage for food now.


<< Home