Bobby has shared some pictures from his cell phone and I feel obligated to post these, especially because I never took lots of pictures of the big ole city of New York the way a good Southern girl would do. I actually didn't even bring a camera with me, because I wanted to pack more clothes. Sigh. Priorities...
These here landmarks are in my neighborhood:
This is the Cathedral of St. John the Divine. It's beautiful and serene. In fact, if I were capable of getting up early on Sunday mornings and I practiced Catholicism, I would frequent this place. As it is, I admire it when I walk by and I tell everyone that it's the largest Gothic cathedral in America...or the world...or something.
You're probably more familiar with this place. Yep, it's the facade from Seinfeld. On Seinfeld, the diner was called Monk's and the service wasn't as bad as it is in real life. Avoid the temptation to visit this place. Fight it with all your might.

Have I mentioned some of the racist things my students have said to me? At first, they were smitten with my freckled skin, fine hair, and blue eyes. Then some of the heavier girls started making comments about my weight, which drives me crazy. If I was obsessed with my teachers' appearances at that age, I know I never discussed it with the teacher. How inappropriate! One boy loudly commented to another that I have a "flat ass." Small, yes. Flat-ish, yes. Completely flat, no. Something he should be looking at and appraising, no. But the best of all race-related remarks is some kid calling me a "white monkey." Why, yes, I guess I am.


<< Home