
The second day of school, I wore flat shoes and pants. Everyone freaked out when I tried to assign seats, so that didn't go so well. I ended up moving a few key toublemakers. The students did freewriting, we attempted an icebreaker in which shy kids forfeited candy and refused to participate, the students actually listened to me go over some procedures for my language arts class. (I forgot to mention that I found out I'm teaching my homeroom students language arts and social studies. We'll spend most of the day together. It's good that I already know my troublemakers and I think I now know everyone's name).
I explained that I'm making students keep an Idea Book, a twenty page writing assignment over anything they want, for each grading period. It can even be a diary that students turn in - nothing too terribly difficult, only a lengthy assignment. Phillip asked why, writing isn't important anyway. I had my first would-be "Dangerous Minds" moment when I asked him what he wanted to do with his life. He said he didn't know. I made him make up something. He said pro wrestler. I explained some things pro wrestlers would have to read and write, going into insurance papers, royalties, trademarks, etc. Phillip's eyes started dilating, but he was still reluctant to accept the assignment. An approximate transcipt:
Phillip: But, Miss, why can't we just write a page?
Me: You have to write a lot more when you get to high school next year. I want you to be prepared for that. Then, I'd like you to be prepared for whatever you go on to next - college or the workforce.
Phillip: But we go to a bad school.
Me: So you think that because you go to this school, you don't deserve to be prepared for high school and college?
Phillip: There are bad high schools, too. They don't make you write a lot.
Me: So bad schools should give you a bad education.
Phillip: That's what they do. It's different.
Me: I will not be a crappy teacher just because some people say you don't go to a good school. You deserve more than that, and you should think more highly of yourself.
Unlike "Dangerous Minds," no one clapped. No music swelled. Most students were disappointed that they'd have to write an Idea Book and pined for a crappy teacher. We went to lunch, the Spanish teacher came in to relieve me and teach the kids the alphabet, I returned and everyone was crazy. I don't know if it was something that happened in Spanish or the fact that it was Friday. I wanted to sniff my dry erase markers until the students disappeared, but I trudged on. Some of my sweet girls talked to me in the schoolyard after school. It's really weird how some students are already affectionate towards me, while others want to cut me.
I called the mothers of Raheem and Robert, so I hope they've been beaten to submission or just respect by Monday. Here's something scary. I have thirty-two needy students in my homeroom class and four still haven't shown up. I pray I don't have any new Raheems or Roberts next week. I really worry about all the time I have to spent disciplining rather than teaching. I worry about my cooperative, quiet students who I can't devote more attention to. I worry that I teach two subjects that have state tests in eighth grade. How am I supposed to prepare these students when I can't even get through a single activity without raising my voice repeatedly?
What did I get myself into?
Labels: Teaching


<< Home