You know, I started this blog because one of my new year's resolutions was "Keep a regular teaching journal." I haven't written about very much school-wise, because I haven't started teaching yet. (September 8th is that fateful day - start praying, chanting, sacrificing small animals now)!
I was told that tomorrow I can go to my school and *try* to find out if I have a classroom that will need to be transformed from delapidated den of graffiti to sparkling chamber of intellectual curiosity. Once I find out the verdict, you will hear more about my school. I'll either be describing my painstaking interior design or complaining. Get ready.
I did visit Staples yesterday to get lots of discounted markers, map colors, crayons, glue sticks, index cards, etc. for my future students. There's so much more I need to get IF I find out I have a classroom. One interesting thing about NYC public schools: Surprise! Their budget is not great. It cannot include "frivolous" items, like highlighters, markers, glue, etc. BUT...if I spend $200 tax-free on supplies for my classroom, I'll be reimbursed in December. I'm not sure if Texas or other states also do this, but it's less of a financial burden on me.
I actually do have a bit more to divulge about my school and my limited experience in NYC public education, but I'm doing brunch with Chen at a Mexican food restaurant. Mexican food in the Northeast. Wish me luck.
Labels: Teaching


<< Home